Legend is made by Rule of Cool Gaming. Its started as a pay what you want project, but is now free. All the proceeds go to the Child's Play charity. They have raised over 12k so far.
The core rule book is still its its beta and is a little rough, but overall it looks pretty interesting. They also have a few add-ons you can download (campaign settings, more races/classes, weapons, etc.)
I pulled this from thier website: http://www.ruleofcool.com/get-the-game/
Legend is a tabletop RPG developed by an independent team of gamers over the course of two years. Building on the foundations of the Open Gaming License, Legend has created a new and novel system dedicated to cinematic combat and a smoother gameplay experience. Legend takes familiar core mechanics and incorporates them into a new system emphasizing versatility, balance and fun.
Legend was designed, as our name suggests, with the “Rule of Cool” in mind. We have a strong core game where abilities matter, classes are designed for broad appeal and customization is key. When you take a feat, you’re investing in a significant and valuable ability. Our system allows you to “multiclass” vertically rather than horizontally, exchanging part of your class for part of another wholesale rather than having to choose between concept and playability.
- Eight Core Classes covering a wide variety of archetypes, with supplementary material ready to customize them further.
- All-new Feats represent significant expansions of your character’s abilities – no more feat chain filler!
- Rewritten spellcasting puts a check on “linear warriors, quadratic wizards” while still giving casters a breadth of options.
- The Track system allows you to tailor your character to your concept, multiclassing without trading away power or utility.
- Twelve months of free downloadable content.
- As part of the Child’s Play charity initiative, all proceeds from the core product will be donated to Child’s Play – not just on launch day but forever!
- Optional Legendary rules allow you to tailor the scope of individual encounters or even the entire game!
I know how much Gaiscioch loves RPGs and charities, best of both worlds right here =D